Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Reasons to Celebrate and Give Thanks

I start and end each day with a spiritual practice that includes moments to reflect on all that is good in my life and to whisper "thank you."

And so as this new week begins and 1/20/09 is only a week away, I am thankful:

*That Bishop Gene Robinson will give the invocation at the first event of the inauguration on Sunday and that Rev. Dr. Sharon Watkins, the General Minister and President of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) will do the sermon at the National Prayer Service. Rev. Robinson is one of the Bishops who have endorsed our Religious Declaration on Sexual Morality, Justice, and Healing and the Open Letter to Religious Leaders on Marriage Equality. Rev. Watkins, the first woman to ever offer the sermon at this service, just this past week endorsed the Religious Institute's Congo Sabbath. I'd like to think that some of the response to Rev. Warren led to these wonderful opportunities for progressive clergy who support sexual justice issues to take their place front and center.

*The National Council of Churches of Christ is promoting the Congo Sabbath Initiative on the front page of its web site. With so many demands for their attention, my heart is full that they are standing with us on the Congo Sabbath.

*Dr. Martin Marty, the country's leading historian on American Religion, devoted his weekly column to the Religious Institute's new seminary survey. Read it here. It went to more than 5000 subscribers on Monday morning.

And like every day that the people I love are healthy, happy, and gainfully employed, I give thanks for life this day. As I once heard Dr. Estelle Raimey say, "I have loved and been loved. The rest is background music."

No comments: