Friday, July 04, 2008

A Brief Sabbatical

E.B. White of "Charlotte's Web" and "Stuart Little" fame, is believed to have said,

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

I know many of my readers who are so committed to social justice know exactly what he meant.

So, as of this evening, I am going on vacation for a week. I'll enjoy the fireworks with family tonight, go visit friends at the beach for the weekend, and then take off to spend four days of solitude and friendship in upstate Maine, ending up in Portland next weekend. I won't have cell phone service for most of it, I won't have email access, and I'm not bringing my laptop.

I will take my journal, some of the pile of books next to my bed, sunscreen and bug spray, my Bible, and a daily commitment to prayer, meditation, and sitting and walking in nature.

I'll be back trying to change the world on July 14th. Blessings to you as you plan your days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a relaxing holiday!

Anonymous said...

Yes...please relax and rejuvinate ....