Monday, May 05, 2008

Mildred Loving, Rest in Peace

I just read that Mildred Loving passed away this weekend.

She's the Loving of Loving v. Virginia, the Supreme Court decision, that told states it was unconstitutional to ban interracial marriage.

My own children can't believe that there was ever a time in America when people of different races couldn't marry each other.

I hope my grandchildren* won't believe that there was ever a time when people of the same sex couldn't marry.

Loving is what is important.

(*My children are 22 and 15. I don't have grandchildren. Maybe in the next decade...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! My fiance (Chinese) and I (Caucasian) are so blessed to never have even had to think about these issues. Love is love is love. (Now let's get the rest of the country on board with same-sex marriage equality, the next frontier.)