Friday, March 07, 2008

What Happened to Truth Telling?

I cut my teeth in sexuality education as a volunteer for Planned Parenthood at a teen clinic in 1976. From 1980 to 1984, I was the director of counseling, education, and community affairs for Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington. It was a wonderful job for a newly graduated M.P.H., and I have always been grateful to its then Executive Director Mary Janney for taking a chance on a young but very eager newly minited public health professional.

I have been a strong supporter and believer in Planned Parenthood and its mission ever since, and at the Religious Institute, we are proud of our association with its Clergy Advisory Board.

That's why I felt a little sick to my stomach when I read this latest piece of hatred aimed at Planned Parenthood, reprinted by my colleagues at People for the American Way. A so-called Christian group is spreading hateful mistruths about Barak Obama and his association with Planned Parenthood's alleged racist mission.

I can't speak for what was true at Planned Parenthood's beginning in the 1930's, but as someone who has proudly been associated with the organization my entire career, I can absolutely say that this is a vicious, distorted, and blatantly false description today.

And it needs to be exposed for being just that. Shame on Christian News Service for passing on these lies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

honest people got sick of liars winning