Friday, May 11, 2007

Happy Mother's Day


The first Sunday I ever went to a Unitarian Church was on Mother's Day, 1987. We were searching for a religious community that would support an interfaith couple with a small child.

The Reverend Bill Murray was preaching about "Gaia, the Earth Mother." The music included Holly Near and Chris Williamson. I felt at home immediately.

It took my husband a little longer.

That's not the only intersection between my faith and Mother's Day. Did you know that Julia Ward Howe, a Unitarian, called for the first Mother's Day in 1870? It was an attempt to organize women around the world to advocate for peace. It's a good reminder about what is still needed today.

My ministry in the world is very tied to motherhood. The Religious Institute advocates for safe motherhood for all women, intentional parenting, and the right to choose when and whether to become a parent at all. My books for parents emphasize the foundational role we play in our homes in raising sexually healthy children and teenagers.

Of course, like so many of the women reading my blog, motherhood is also deeply personal. I am grateful to my own mother for her support, guidance, and encouragement, and that we still get to hang out together. I loved that she came with me to the movie premiere earlier this week.


Of all the wonderful blessings in my life, it is my children that are the most central to my being. They are my teachers, my guides, my inspiration, and the loves of my life.
Happy Mother's Day to you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

Anonymous said...

Do you think I could convince the center to hire a foreign affairs consultant? If so, I'd be willing to raise my own support.

I really appreciate what you and the center do for humanity on a daily basis. Thanks, and Happy Mother's Day to you too.
suzanahraffield@yahoo.com