Thursday, April 26, 2007

Take Your Child to Work Day

Today is "Take Your Child To Work Day." Originally designed as "Take Your Daughter to Work Day" to expose young women in the work force, sons are now included.

I remember taking my daughter to work years ago when I was the CEO of SIECUS. I asked her what she thought at the end of the day. She said, "It doesn't look very hard. You talk on the phone, go to meetings, and play on the computer." Well, yes...and...

In many ways as a minister and the director of the Religious Institute, I still do many of those things. Since today was a sermon writing day, I didn't think it made much sense to take my 13 year old to my home office. He did accompany me last week to Washington, D.C. and made lobbying visits with the Connecticut delegation about ENDA and hate crimes legislation. He says that when friends ask him what I do for a living, he says "She's a minister and a sexologist" and that there is never a second question after that.

I do think it's important that we talk to our children about our employment and our work for justice in the world. It might be tonight's teachable moment.

P.S. If you are reading this on Thursday, April 26th, I will be on Univision this evening at 10 p.m. on a taped piece on congregations and sex offenders. They interviewed me in Spanish, and I did my best to respond. If you catch it, let me know what you think.

No comments: