Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Hurry Up, Gov. Spitzer!

The New York Times this morning reports that New York Governor Eliot Spitzer is planning to introduce a bill to support marriage equality for same sex couples. It will make him the first governor to do so, and the NYT editorial surely will help.

Back in the olden days of 2004, after the Massachusetts decision, it seemed that other progressive states would quickly follow suit. Friends of mine asked me if I would perform a ceremony for them in New York the following summer. It seemed a near certainty that New York would follow quickly.

Peter and Kenneth had met during the closeted 1950's, and had been together ever since. New York's law hadn't changed, but we went ahead with the ceremony anyway at their 50th anniversary party. I joked with the participants that this was one service where I wasn't worried about whether the relationship would work out.

But I also remember saying that it was beyond absurd that their relationship wasn't yet able to be recognized by the state. Surely they were married in all but the eyes of the law.

That summer day, I promised to come back and make it official, God and the state willing. My friends will be 85 soon. Mr. Spitzer, can you hurry up and get this done?

No comments: