Monday, August 28, 2006

Just friends

I preached yesterday at my home congregation, the Unitarian Church in Westport. The sermon title was "Friendship -- With Benefits."

You can read the whole sermon at the section called "Debra's Sermons" on the UCW web site in a few days. I talked about how I hate the term "just friends" because it implies that friendship is less important than other relationships.

I shared though that we can take back the term "just friends" if we understand that “just” comes from “justice”, right relations. “Just friends” love and nurture each other. “Just friends” listen to each other, sit with each other, and offer each other unconditional regard. “Just friends” show up. “Just friends” tell you the truth when no one else will, but always with kindness and compassion.

May you be blessed with just friends.

No comments: