Friday, June 30, 2006

Original Blessing

I'm in St. Louis at the annual meeting of the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists. Yes, this is my second trip to St. Louis in the past week, if you have been tracking my travels.

I'll be leading a multifaith worship service on Saturday morning, called "Standing on the Side of Love." This is my third worship service at an AASECT annual meeting; several people told me tonight that it's the only religious service they go to each year. That feels like a big responsibility.

I'm going to be preaching about the need for sexologists who have been alienated from faith to once again become theologians. I'm going to introduce my concept of "original blessing."

Here's a small excerpt from my sermon. If you'd like me to send you a copy of the entire sermon, send me an email at the Religious Institute.

"You surely have heard about the dogma of original sin which at heart says that because we are born through sex, each of us carries sin in our lives. But if we are to be theologians, we must counter that concept. Let's talk instead about original blessing. How joyful it is that each of us is born out of passion, hopefully out of love --- the miracle of our birth and the miracle of our life begin with the miracle of a sexual act. How radically different the world might be if original blessing became the message of our religious communities."

May you have a blessed July 4th weekend. Celebrate our freedoms.

Rev. Debra

1 comment:

M Taher said...

Hello:
I have cited your post in Multifaith Issues From Other Blogs - Update No. 8.
And, technology synchronizes, without discrimination. By the time I went round thanking for the message, and knocked your door, I found your post showed my transaction (I am already linked with your post).
Anyways, would appreciate if you could leave your comment.
Best, Mohamed