Thursday, April 06, 2006

Week in Review: Sex and Religion in the News

When I started my blog, someone asked me if I would have enough to write about on sexuality and religion. The reality is that every day I have to choose which stories to cover. So, I've decided to institute a new feature every Friday -- "The Week in Review: Sex and Religion in the News". Let me know what you think!

Here's some of what happened this week:

*Senator Feingold spoke out in support of marriage equality, saying that although no religious faith should be compelled to officiate at such marriages, all people should have the right to marry. We applaud Senator Feingold's decision to speak out. The fact is that more than ten denominations allow clergy to perform same sex marriages; it's the state that discriminates against some of the marriages I perform.

*Cable stations joined the networks in rejecting the new ads by the United Church of Christ that support full inclusion and welcome for all people. Join their protest. The Religious Institute asks the stations, "how is it too political to open church doors to everyone?"

*The Religious Institute applauds Rev. John I. Jenkins, the President of Notre Dame, who decided to reverse his earlier decision and allow the continuation of the Vagina Monologues and a gay film festival on campus. We applaud his courage in bringing sexuality issues to the campus for open dialog and discussion.

*We are deeply saddened by the news of yet another government official arrested for soliciting minors on the Internet. The Religious Institute strongly supports efforts to prevent the exploitation and abuse of children and teenagers, and encourages faith based communities to become more proactive in keeping children safe. See our new resource, "A Time to Heal." Homeland Security indeed.

I'm off to upstate New York to lead a workshop on safe congregations and to preach on Sunday. Have a blessed weekend. Let me know what you think of this new feature.

No comments: