Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Three Quarters in Poll Support Adoption by Same Sex Couples

In my first career, I was trained as a public health professional, and so I know the difference between good research and convenience samples. I know that Internet polls don't really tell us anything, but which group is more organized about getting the word out to its constituency to vote.

Still, I felt heartened to vote and see the results in a USA Today poll this morning about adoption by same sex couples. 73% of the people who've taken the poll support such adoption, despite the numerous states that are trying to legislate bans against it. Now, I suppose it's possible that folks on the right just haven't heard about this poll, but isn't it more optimistic to think that the American public understands that "love makes a family" and that sexual orientation doesn't have anything to do with good parenting? If you want to weigh in, take a minute to answer the poll question!

I've just replaced my 10 year old car with a new car and I've been debating whether to put my favorite bumper sticker on it's pristine back bumper. It's from the Unitarian Universalist Association, and it says, "We are all family and We all have value." I think I have to!

1 comment:

Bree Sprankle said...

Despite overwhelming support from the public and empirical data from psychologists and sociologists, the government still feels as adoption by homosexuals is wrong.

I don't like to infer from limited data, but since the government wants to ignore public opinion and science, I am left with no choice but to guess what their motives are.

The government may feel that homosexuality can "rub off" on adopted children. If they have this view, then they are saying that homosexuality is wrong and not a good characteristic to pass along.

The government may also feel that homosexuals would make unfit parents for any of the cliched reasons (i.e., mental illness, unhealthy lifestyle, etc.).

Whatever their motives are for wanting to prohibit homosexuals from adopting children, there are undoubtably issues of ignorance and prejudice underlying their legislation.